My Counters

Thursday, March 12, 2009

It's up to me!

"Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm. As you get older, remember you have another hand: the first is to help yourself, the second is to help others." Audrey Hepburn

I've been doing really well sticking to my diet this week. I saw this quote on a group I'm on and I really like the first part, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm. I have been thinking about it, and it can really be applied to us in our WL Journeys. If it is to be, it's up to me. We CHOOSE what we put in our mouths, NO ONE forces us at gun point to eat the 'crap' that we do. It is up to us to make the right choices of what we put into our mouths. It's up to ME to do what is right for myself. No one can MAKE me diet, no one can MAKE me exercise, no one can MAKE me drink my water....NO ONE EXCEPT MYSELF!

I went to Costco today and in the past I have stopped at every 'demo' stand whether the item was 'good' for me or not, today I only stopped at one that was 'healthy'. I wasn't even tempted to stop at the others. I'm making much better choices at the grocery store, and it feels so good to have a cart full of fruits, veggies, and healthy items instead of junk food, crap food, and more junk food.

While I'm not quite where I want to be, I'm becoming more active on my days off, normally I sit in front of the TV or computer all day long and accomplish nothing on the 'home' front, which isn't good...but is in part due to my Bipolar Depression...and me not taking my pills 100% of the time. I am doing better with that though, I'm really trying as I feel so much better, am more 'on the ball' when I do. Today I slept in, (much needed), went to 3 stores, picked up vitamins/pills from my Dr, put gas in my car, then came home and have been working on doing dishes, and cleaning out my fridge, I even pulled out the shelves and am deep cleaning. I was disgusted with some of the 'crap' in my fridge. But NO MORE! It's all healthy now.....now to just clean the pantry out and get rid of the rest of the crap in there......then I will have no more 'temptations'.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Heather, you are doing SO well! I am proud of you for passing on all of the unhealthy stands at Costco. You are so right, it is up to us to help ourselves move forward and it is up to us to make good choices every day.

I, too, have Bipolar Depression and have been stable on my meds for a couple of years now. My encouragement to you is to set up a routine....a normal time when you take the meds. Mine is just before bed-time. I don't go to bed unless I have taken my meds and that helps me to remember. When you are taking your meds regularly, you can then tell if they are working or not and work towards making adjustments with your doc.

Andrea